Thursday, February 25, 2010
Femoroacetabular Impingement
Bored on a lunch break during my family medicine rotation last month, I read an article about hip pain. As I continued to read, I realized I was reading about myself. Starting my second year of medical school I started experiencing this incredible burning pain in my groin down my leg. Just think, constant indian burn than electricity shooting down with twitching. After the gyno route, my pelvic pain is resolved but that groin pain persisted. Every few months I saw the DO at school and he was dumb founded, did his adjustments and off I went. I basically decided that I was going to experience this pain for the rest of my life and life sucks!! Well, that changed as I continued to read about FAI. I scheduled a consult with Atlanta's premiere FAI orthropedic surgeon who confirmed on a Hip Arthrogram and MRI that I too suffer from FAI. Imaging revealed that I have a labral tear and my acetabulum is misplaced in my hip joint with bone rubbing on bone. The official diagnosis is labral tear with pincer impingement. I'm scheduled to undergo hip arthroscopy after rotations and will hopefully be off crutches in time for graduation. I'm really picky about my own doctors but I'm confident in this guy, if all the Atlanta professional athletes trust this guy, he takes the time to answer all my questions, then he's the man for me. I'm really looking forward to pain relief but not so much the recovery. Ugh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Welcome to our world of hip chicks and hipsters...
Good luck with surgery. View my site if you're interested in learning more about our "hip underworld."
Post a Comment