Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Hysterectomy anyone?
This morning I fought off the other student (did I mention there was a "mix up" and i'm having to share my rotation with a PA student?? its awful...i don't have time for his stupid remarks- i don't think my attending cares for him...i've done almost 15 deliveries and the other guy 1- i'm a gunner).. so this am I got to assist on the TAH BS&O on a 31 y/o female with "severe" endometriosis.....it was shocking...in the next few years i'll be that age and i've got endometriosis...and yes its bothersome, but a hysterectomy at our age?? I felt so old because i'm hitting that age in which its an option and women take it. i remind myself that she is 31- older than me, she's had 4 kids, a single parent, on bipolar meds and now under my scalpel- ok i just cut sutures but its a very important job!! I guess it is an option for her, just not for me.... its still a million dollar question if i'm gonna ever bear my own children, so far i've avoided any psyche drug, and i am happily single...well technically not single but i love billy and his support and he's stuck with me so far...the patient and i are basically opposites but we're both diseased. her pain was "so bad a 10 on a scale 1-10" that i expected a mess of a belly but nope...practically clean of disease...i did see a few speckles here and there...they teach us the amount of disease does not correlate with pain....anyways, i'm thankful that i privately have something in common with these patients and remind myself just because its not right for me, doesn't mean its not right for them. i will probably struggle that my patients aren't badasses and won't "suck it up" but remember they are my patients and i'm their doctor- i have to offer them everything..so far i've been sympathetic but i'm so afraid of losing that patience.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Are you serious?!?! Read THE H WORD (Amazon.com or hersfoundationDOTorg/hword). And then, I don't know what........
Post a Comment