This is the topic of most office visits I have with patients at an underserved family medicine clinic this month. Typically their cholesterol is high, they have high blood pressure and diabetes. I ask for a 24 hour diet diary and they usually tell me about mounds of pasta, chocolate cake, soda throughout the day, followed by fried chicken for dinner. Then when asked about exercise, they stare blankly at me. Its almost predictable, so I up their medicines and they'll live another year.
Now, while I don't go to the doctor, I'm well aware of the fact that I could lose a few extra pounds I've put back on in the past two years. (I loved my weight during the first 2 years of med school but I wouldn't trade back for those awful academic times). Some months I'm better than others- for example in So. Carolina I got free Chik-Fil-A anytime I wanted...but most months I bring my Smart Ones to work and eat my healthy lunch. Additionally I've been working out 5 x/ week in the gym and one "outdoor exercise" day/ week. I feel like I'm getting no where....its frustrating....the good news is I have no meds to increase but I don't want to get to that point. Its not fair in my opinion...Billy keeps me motivated and I'll keep pushing myself...if not for weight than for cardiovascular health.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
keep up the good work.. it will pay off I know it.
Post a Comment