Friday, August 28, 2009
Is Medical School Stressful?
Now, I know its seems to the average person that of course students would experience stress in medical school, but its really off and on. I don't mean to complain about it, but its pretty miserable right now and I don't want to forget this experience. Previously I mentioned that I'm going through the residency application process...still awaiting interviews. It seems my mind is constantly racing and being consumed by these thoughts. At night, I find myself crying about the future. I called a classmate and inquired if I was the only one stressed about this process...Good thing is that I'm not alone....it was suggested that I get on medication because most of my classmates are on either an anti-depressant or anti-anxiety med. I thought, am I depressed? No. Do I have anxiety? Awh, yeah, but just regarding two things, Where will I end up? Will Billy and I stay together? Its so stupid but so stressful. Basically I have no control over the situation. It gets worse...I won't know for at least another 6 months! Can I make it that long, should I consider medicine? For now, I'll just ride through the ups and downs but its not fun at all...good news is each episode lasts just a few days and only occur every few weeks. Talking to classmates is a little helpful, but we're all worried what we think of each other...Its taboo to show weakness. Talking to people outside of this process isn't really helpful...They think that of course I'll get what I want, I have so far academically right? All my confidence is gone...doesn't matter that I have the best letters of recommendation or my grades and boards are great...I've become a bit paranoid when comparing myself to my classmates...again, academically I outshine the others who want OBGYN but maybe the residents or directors "liked" them better, maybe they did something i didn't? who knows, but i guess i'll know in 6 months....until then i anticipate many more tearful nights and doubt running through my mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi,
My name is Annie Smith and I am the assistant editor of Medicalschool.org. I am contacting you today in hopes of developing a relationship with your website; we have seen your site and think your content is great. Medicalschool.org is a purely informational site dedicated to the general Public.
I hope you show some interest in building relationship, please contact me at annie.medicalschool.org@gmail.com.
Post a Comment