Tuesday, March 10, 2009

An Away Rotation

So this month is family medicine....ugh. I'm 2 hours away from Atlanta so Sunday night I drive out here and return on Friday afternoon. The only reason I get Fri pm off is I'm on call Thursday night, so I'm basically up all night in the ER doing H&Ps for new admits. So far, its sick old people or young women in labor. I slept a whole 40 mins in a hospital bed with a bleached urine smelling thin sheet. Not ideal, but I did get a 40 min nap before a full morning of nephrology clinic.

I'm at a Residency site so I'm basically teamed up with a different Resident each day and occasionally an Attending. My first day was awesome, I felt smart. The second day was all cardiac patients so I felt dumb. The goal is each day I get smarter. The outpatient clinic ranges from old people with uncontrolled diabetes and HTN now in renal failure and rotten feet to little critters with rashes. I had one kid who had a glove fetish, it was scary.

As far as my living arrangements, I'm living in student housing. The apartment is "luxurous"- nice and clean, but LOUD. The interstate is behind my window so all day and night I hear cars zooming by. I also have a roommate from another school who gets up and does "stuff" in the kitchen for an hour. I have no idea what she does but I hear banging of the cabinets and dishes... for a whole hour each morning...i'm going insane. I then walk into the kitchen and it looks exactly the same....dishes scattered everywhere. Its hopeless. Basically I pray for Friday so I can drive home and be with Billy boy. I am studying a ton out here, but otherwise there is nothing exciting in rural Georgia.

No comments: