I'm currently on an elective rotation at a Residency site in California...far away from Atlanta. This rotation is great.. the students that I work with are really friendly and helpful. It is not the competetive enviornment that I've been exposed to in the past. The patients are very similar... kind hearteded but with limited financial resources and large, very large. I never thought my patients would weight over 400 lbs, but that is quite common....here in california and in the South. Obesity is an epidemic and possesses challenges when trying to provide the best medical care. Waddling through the layers of fat should motivate me to hit up the gym.
This week I spent a day on the the gyn onc clinic and I was impressed and frightened. Cancer doesn't just hit the elderly, I've seen several patients younger than me with cervical, endometerial, and ovarian cancer....Yikes, I've been vaccinated so i'm not at risk for cervical cancer ( a shout out to all women under 26 y/o to get vaccinated), but once again a reminder that life is fragile and we must take care of ourselves and seek medical attention when appropriate. I really liked gyn oncology...it incorporates surgery and out patient care. Something to consider in the future, but just another confirmation that i'm loyal to the obgyn speciality.
Lastly the weather is wonderful out here... I'm enjoying the sunshine and peak temperatures of 88 degrees. Billy and I talk each day and he reminds me that it is cold, rainy with a low of 15 degrees out there. Chilly. So california has earthquakes every once in a while, I think its still better than coldness everyday throughout the winter. But wherever I am, he keeps me warm and i miss his warmth now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment